Author Topic: Changes to Radio.Wazee?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Dr. Dyno

• Administrator
  • ROCK STAR!
  • The Dr. Dyno Show
    • View Profile
    • The Dr. Dyno Show
Changes to Radio.Wazee?
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
Ok Everyone...

I have had a lot of things on my mind lately trying to think of ways to improve wazee for everyone. I would like everyone's input on this decision because after all wazee is built by the people.

I would like everyone to reply to this post with answers these 4 questions.

Would you like to see Wazee streamed in 160k or 192k as well as bringing back a 24k stream for mobile devices?
1a: 160k
1b: 192k
1c: 24k? Yes or No

Do you want Wazee to stick to the current format of mainly indie rock or more mainstream mixed in?
2: Keep it the same, or Mix it up more.

Would you use a mobile app to stream Wazee if it was offered?
3: Yes, No

Open Question
4: Is there anything you would like to see changed on wazee or problems with the current setup for you?

Let me know what you guys would like to see done with wazee.

Much Love to Wazee Land,
DrDyno
- Dyno

The Dr. Dyno Show
http://www.facebook.com/drdyno

Jonathan

Re: Changes to Radio.Wazee?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
192kbps

I think 64kbps would be good for a mobile stream-- the chances of a low-bandwidth device having the capacity to stream at all in the first place aren't very good.

Offline Dr. Dyno

• Administrator
  • ROCK STAR!
  • The Dr. Dyno Show
    • View Profile
    • The Dr. Dyno Show
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »
thank you for your input,  I want more though!!! Let me know what you guys want!

I'll put it this way if you want 192k .... speak up!

DrDyno
- Dyno

The Dr. Dyno Show
http://www.facebook.com/drdyno

whfsdude

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »
64kbps AAC+
128kbps mp3
192kbps mp3

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:57 PM »
Well I use to listen wazee on my headphone and 128kb sounds pretty good,  more than once I asked to myself why the music sounds better at wazee on 128k than my own mp3 at 192 kb and high? So for just a normal stereo sound I donít see any reason to improve the stream, but if you think to change for a super surround 7,2 channels an improvement would be welcome.

About the wazee formula, ití s perfect. More mainstream would ruin the radio. One song now and then itís enough just like it is today. If you worried about the number  of listeners try to spread the radio  at some famous site of rock or something, for example I discovered the wazee by the realplayer site, but never change the formula. What wazee have here itís only.

music_at_wrk

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »
Agreed, the formula doesn't need to change, however, maybe responses to song requests so that we know if our requests are being ignored or if you just can't get the songs or whatnot.

The one thing about wazee that I would say could use a little improvement would be a little bit of diversification of the alternative genre. While good, there are other styles of music within the alternative genre that are not heard on wazee, but definately keep the formula of mainstream to indie the way it is, I wouldn't trade that for anything. I just feel the station has really stagnated over the last couple years so I have taken to searching out new styles of music (despite coming back to wazee on a somewhat regular basis).

As for the stream, I would be interested it TRYING the alternative bandwidth options but I know that bandwidth for streaming music can be expensive for the broadcaster so if you were to expand the offering of streams, I would maybe bump up to 160 as a trial run to see what, if any, difference there would be.

As for a mobile app, I would be interested in using a mobile app, however it would have to be able to do much more than just stream wazee, android already has many apps that can stream the station. Being able to comment or rate the song through the app and browse the WMD would be key criteria, along with having a built in version of the forum.

Oh, and maybe a few more active mods on the forum to deal with any spam or whatnot.

chrisguy13

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 04:32:07 PM »
I don't think I've ever posted, but I've been a long time listener, so feel free to take or leave my opinion

Bit-rates:  I agree with Raptor, the 128k sounds good (much better than XM for sure).  More is better of course, but 128k is reasonable, and 160k would be great if the costs don't rise much.  I think soma.fm has a good bit-rate set up (although a bit too extensive).  Keep a 128k mp3 stream and add 64k and 32k aac+ streams for low bandwidth.  I often use 64k aac+ in 3G coverage areas and 32k in EDGE areas on my cellphone (in the US).  128k mp3 sounds slightly better than 64k aac+ but they are very close and 32k aac+ is very listenable when necessarily (even a 24k aac+ stream would be listenable, it's a great codec).  Do not bring back 24k mp3.  It's horribly outdated and practically unlistenable.

Format:  Keep the old format, more or less.  I would like to see a bit more indie rock as Ive been into that lately, but I like a having a station to count on that delivers tons of new rock music that is consistently good, and that's what Wazee was.  There are a few mainstream alternative rock stations that would fill that void, and none like wazee.  And please, no Nickleback (I thought there used to be a joke promo about Nickleback and then I heard them on here a month ago  :-\)

Mobile stream: I would use the app, as there are good codec choices.  I have pocket tunes for the iphone and it streams the 128k stream fine and would also do aac+ streams.  The app would simplify this and I would use it if the sound quality was on par.

Wazee's been a great radio station and I would like to take the chance to thank everyone involved  for their hard work.  I'm excited for the future!

ihtanni

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »
If bandwidth allows, I'd love a 160k or 192k mp3 stream!

If you mixed in a few more mainstream songs, maybe 1 more every1/1.5 hour, I wouldn't complain. I have XM/Sirius for my primary 'new mainstream' music fix, but it'd be nice to see a little bit more of that here.

I'd use a mobile app (when I get an Android phone that is) if it allowed song rating, forum integration would be a nice bonus, but not a requirement for me.

As for other things, it may be just me, but it seems the forum's a little disorganized. Posts for some topics are under different areas, etc. A clean-up/re-org wouldn't go wrong in my book, it might promote some more discussion too as more members become active.
Also, while definitely not a huge thing by any means, gray is getting a little old after all these years...

DoubleUK

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:05 AM »
Would you like to see Wazee streamed in 160k or 192k as well as bringing back a 24k stream for mobile devices?
1a: 160k
1b: 192k
1c: 24k? Yes or No
The current 128k is ok. But 160k would be grand.

Do you want Wazee to stick to the current format of mainly indie rock or more mainstream mixed in?
2: Keep it the same, or Mix it up more.
Please keep it cutting edge indie. Not too much (or none at all) mainstream. Thank you.

Would you use a mobile app to stream Wazee if it was offered?
3: Yes, No
When I'll have a iPhone? Yes!  ;D

Open Question
4: Is there anything you would like to see changed on wazee or problems with the current setup for you?

First of all: i LOVE Wazee!Thank you for providing so much interesting music. (and offer some downloadable free tracks as well!).
I have discovered a lot of fascinating bands since I listen to Wazee.
And as a result I've been buying a lot of music from these bands. - Everytime I hear something worthwhile I'll add it to my 'grocery list'.

So, keep up the good work. Keep feeding us new discoveries and kick-ass music.
And keep offering a platform to new and upcoming bands that offer some of their music for free downloading so that people keep coming to your site!

Thank you!

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 10:13:04 PM »
Stop with the mainstream weekends... it sucks....